I recently realised that Facts About Durban has been going for 14 years (it feels more like a lifetime) and I had a happy morning trawling through the older parts of the site. There was no WordPress in those days and I manually created diary pages using Dreamweaver and posted links to new pictures and articles as I added them to the site. The old diary pages cover the period from June 10, 2003, to January 2011, when I added WordPress to the site, and are linked from here:
I then decided to see what was happening 10 years ago on FAD so I called up the diary page covering that period and I found, among other things that:
- Neil Gould contributed reminiscences about Durban nightlife.
- A storm surge struck Durban.
- Wade Kidwell contributed a number of postcards.
- I wrote a story about a troopship revolt in in Durban in 1942.
- There was a large fire at the Seaboard Hotel.
- We heard from Hans Hallen — the designer of the Little Top.
- The third edition of my book Facts About Durban finally hit bookshop shelves.
I’d encourage everyone to have a browse through the early diary pages because it’s an excellent way of discovering stuff on the site that you might otherwise not see.Share this: