Richard Seidle

posted in: InfoRequests | 8

My informant Mike Thomas reminded me that he made some requests for info in his contribution which I published here a while ago. He wants to know if anyone knows of his friend Richard Seidle (son of the Lady in White) and the name of the runner-up in the 1961 Miss South Africa who won a trip on Mike’s ship, City of Durban, as part of her prize.

A look at Wikipedia reveals that the lady in question was probably either Marlene Boyes or Rita Rheeder but I would appreciate hearing if anyone has news of Richard.

1. Peter

I think that Richard Siedle was in the shipping business in Durban, also had a brother.
    This goes back to the 60’s/70’s . I think he worked at Unicorn Grindrod Group in those
    days. Perhap you can approach one of the current directors at the group as he may have some memorabilia on the Siedle’s. When my sister was born in 1939 in Durban,
    my parents named her Perla, after the Lady in White. Sadly, she passed away from whooping cough at the age of 3 months or so.

2. Jan Baaij

Richard and his brother Court managed King and Sons including Durban Lines for the Mosenthal family.When Unicorn bought the company they did not stay long afterwards.I last heard of Richard years ago, he lived in Umhloti,just north of Durban

3. David H Overton

A Richard Siedle was at school in Durban with me, first at DPHS in the late 1940s, then at DHS in the 1950s. I heard that he moved to Cape Town some time after leaving school, and the I lost track of him.

4. Michael J Thomas

After a lapse of ca 57 years since I last was in Durban as 2nd Off on the Ellerman Line’s MV”City of Durban” I’m returning (sadly for only 29hrs!) on the Cruise Liner (as a passenger) MV”Saga Pearl II”‘s (and probably my) final voyage.
    I’m still hoping to contact my old friend Richard Siedle last known to me as residing at PO Box 109 Ulmhioti Rocks in the 70/80’s when we set up “Africa Feeder Line” with a Seaco Deckship. He also founded “Zalbroker” and Zambezi Africa Line” – great fun days but now all names lost in the distant past! Please contact me if anyone can update me re his current
    whereabouts etc Many thanks: Mike Thomas

Hi Michael
    I am sending you an email.

6. Mike Thomas

Firstly, I want to thank both your good self and those of your devoted subscribers who kindly responded the the whereabouts of my friend Richard Siedle. I’m delighted to tell you that resulting from your input we’ve now re-established contact and after a lapse of some 40+ years we are meeting again when I visit Durban next March.
    Secondly,(a very long shot I know researching the Durban shipping press etc!) but were you ever successful or have any further thoughts in identifying which (if either ?) of the two ladies you suggested could have been the “Runner-up” in the Miss South Africa Contest who was (with her chaperone – think they came from either Pietermaritzburg or Bloemfontein) given a free cruise on Ellerman Line’s MV”City of Durban” (with all the attendant publicity) from Durban to LM, Beira and back in 1961 ? Meanwhile, my kind rgds & many thanks again to both you and your numerous erudite contacts – from a very appreciative. Mike Thomas

• Allan Jackson

Hi Mike. You’re welcome and, of course, we’d like to hear if any memories are brought back to the surface when you catch up with Richard.

7. Mike Thomas