are welcome to quote from the pages below but you should give credit
where credit's due. The title. author and date are included on each
page and you should put www.fad.co.za as the publisher.
Age of Sail - Some sailing ships to have visited Durban
- Album - vintage Durban Pics & Postcards
- As if it were yesterday - by Trevor Friend
Divers - Durban by Neil Gould
Memories of Durban in the 1950s
- First Aerial
Survey of Durban
- Bakeries and Dairies of Durban - Gerald Buttigieg
- Battle of the Bar, The
- Beachfront remiscences - Tim Pullen
bioscope and milkshakes by John Taylor
blacksmith remembers his whaling days
Chow - Durban's gastronomic sandwich
Methven book review.
- Cinema locations
Coelacanth sleeps at Natal Command.
- Cookie Look and Rock 'n Roll
Page of 2nd Print Edition
- Coull, Roy - biography by Alan Taylor
- TB Davis page
- DHEW - harbour entrance widening project.
Pages - See much interesting stuff here.
Page 50s/60s reminiscences and beachfront pix
memories by Gavin Foster
- Durban in WWII - Malcolm Barker
- Umbilo Drive-Inn by GM Enerson
Earliest Hydroplanes (seaplanes).
first big cricket match
Has Changed - 3 March 1945
Wooden Railway by Terry Hutson
rotocraft flight in Durban by Alan Taylor
/ Beaches 1950s and 60s
Handicap 1948 by Marius Mathee
- Fishing stories - by Len Jones
Steam Railway in South Africa
floating dock is built - 1945.
Boats in Durban
sample of some of the entries in Facts About Durban - First
- Geology and water for early settlers - TE Francis
of the Durban area
Buttigieg's Durban Memoirs - Growing up in Durban in the 1950s.
- Going to town - John Taylor
up in Durban during WWII -
by Leon Nicholson
up in Durban - 1950s - by Rose Enstrom
of Fame - a log of people who've helped with Facts About Durban.
- Harbour contents page - articles about Durban Harbour
War Graves & War
Graves in Durban
Durban visits Durban - 1926
from the History of
Public Transport in Durban
- Horace Dainty - radio pioneer
memories by Gavin Foster
Durban - 1930/31
needed from readers
- The International Arts League of Youth
- Joan remembers - memories from an old Durbanite.
- Kings Park Cycle Club 1930s-1990s - 3Mb PDF download.
crashes / civil aircraft - by Alan Taylor
- Kydaar's Durban memories - By Peter Grindley-Ferris
Sunderland Flight from Durban
visit to North Pier
to Fly - Durban 1936
Laybutt's 35 Sqn Photo Album
vir Europese Immigrasie (Council for European Immigration).
Memoires Gastronomique 1967 - 1993 By Dave Baird
- Memoirs of a Montclair Boy - Dave Phillips
of growing up in Durban by William Paterson
of a Visit to Durban - in Feb 1917 by Frederick Pendall
- Memories of growing up in Woodlands, Durban by Derek Austin
- Miller Flight, The by Rolfe Mathews
- Miniature train and paddlesteamer - Gerald Buttigieg
- Music in Durban contents page
- Mysteries of a Clan Chief by Colin Garvie
sinking of the Nova Scotia
- Ocean Terminal, Architect of
- Out and about in town - 1970/1980s - Allan Jackson
Ovington Court disaster
Paddle Ski Club History - by Johny Vasilaros
- Paradise Valley by Gavin Foster
Album - vintage Durban Pics & Postcards
- Point Road Police and Fire Stations restored.
Port Captain's Daughter - by
entrance widening gets underway by Terry Hutson
- Story of Port Natal, The - 1926.
from Durban - a growing page!
George's Visit - 1934
- Radar in Durban - WWII by Gavin Foster
Contributions Contents Page
- Robert Page's 35 SQN photo album
Natal Yact Club history book
- Royal Visit 1947
Eastern Port - 1936
Fountain and the Da Gama Clock (Scottish Ironwork)
to Save - SAAF rescue boats off Durban by Guy Ellis
seventies nightlife - by Neil Gould
Henry's first soccer team - playing at Lords Ground
from Durban's Aviaton Past
Surge - March 2007
- Sources used for Facts About Durban
- Symbols of Durban: Seal, Coat of Arms & Logos
- Time Ball wins award
Tragedy of Vampire Jet 246
Tragic Accident at the Bluff Lighthouse - Rosemary Dixon-Smith
Revolt, A - 1942
- Trudgeon, John whaling pictures.
are built in Durban - 2008
King's Parks, The page of the.
off Natal - The Local Ocean War, 1942-1944
of Natal - A short history
- VC10 visit.
Visit To The Circus by Rosemary Dixon-Smith
graves in Durban and other stories by Ricky Nortje
holes by John Taylor
- Watering holes of my youth - David Baird
we were, The Some memories of 1950s and 60s
to Durban - The war years.
whaler remembers - Rein Pirn
in Durban - 1908-1975
of opportunity opens, A - Ship building and repair
did you do for fun in Durban (late 1950s & 1960s) - by
to get Facts About Durban
- Whittle, Frank, loses a pencil.
- Who was the first harbourmaster? - Robin Lamplough
Wallpaper Images (1024 x 768px)
- http://www.durban.gov.za/ - eThekwini Online is the website of the eThekwini Municipality
and has sections for both visitors and residents. Here you can
find just about anything including accomodation, things to do,
council minutes and the mayor's e-mail address. One intriguing
feature is under City Maps in the Residents section where you
can call up maps showing any address in the city with whatever
detail you want, including culverts, sewer pipes and storm water
drains. There are also low-resolution aerial photographs available.
Rosemary Dixon-Smith is an expert on genealogy in KwaZulu Natal
and plays a major part in the Genealogy
At Sea - Derek Walker's site which has a lot of stuff on maritime
issues and history relating to South Africa.
- Garry Schei
is based in Scotland but has
a website, here, with a very nice collection of old pictures
photographic site showcasing the work of Peter Bendheim who
is a friend to Facts About Durban. There are some excellent pictures
of Durban people and places, but not the usual touristy views.
and Ships is a very nice resource on the Port of Durban and
other Southern African Ports, including information on what ships
are in harbour.
- Guy Ellis, who contributed the section on SAAF rescue launches in Durban to this site, has moved to England. He has set up a history website which specialises in the Stroud area but which has other interesting stories on it including a couple with South African relevance.