Musical memories

posted in: Mini Memories | 13

Reader Keith Parker wrote in recently with some memories:

Hi Allan

Came across your website and it brought back so many memories. I am a drummer and as a very young boy had the honour of playing with Dennis Van Rooyen at functions in and around Durban. We played at weddings and many MOTH dances. I would like to know please when Dennis passed away as I am sure he is no longer with us. He was such a personality and an artist.The sound of that Hammond organ has stayed with me for a long time, being 70 years old now.

Another item on your site was regarding Lee Men Limited. the group used to play at the Arena Club which doubled as a boxing academy run by Doug Dolan if I remember correctly. During that period I was playing with a group called Limits 4 and actually we took over playing at Arena when Lee Men Limited finished up there. Later on the group became The Village Green and we had a fixed venue at the Ocean View Hotel in Musgrave Road.

Such wonderful times.
Keith

1. Gary Gibb

Hi Allen, Dennis passed away some years ago, what a great musician. Its possible Colin Penn may recall when. Search for Colin on facebook. All the best to you.

• Keith Parker

Hi Gary,
      I was the drummer that asked about Dennis.
      Thanks for the information.
      Regards,
      Keith Parker.

2. Graeme

Hi Keith, you guys were pretty good…….Ocean View…good jol then. Went there when other sessions were boring like Assumption church hall, nothing on at Pirates Surf Livesaving club, and Sherwood hall, bit far though. Pity about the venue of Ocean View being so far away from the beachfront where me and my mates lived….ja, correct, we had to walk…ha ha.

3. Keith Parker

Hi Graeme, I used to enjoy playing there. It was a bit more upmarket from the session venues.As I recall it was called “The Hive” It was way off the beaten track for sure. Do you recall “The Surfers Hut” at the bottom of Moore Rd? Played there right in the beginning of my band days with Limits Four.

4. Deirdre Capell nee Smith

My dad drummer with Dennis many gigs. My dad was Les Smith. I remember going to his music shop in Gale Street with my dad

5. Keith Parker

Hi Deirdre,
    I do remember your dad playing with Dennis and the Hammond organ shop.
    Keith.

6. Deirdre capell

Thanks for remembering. My dad was a wonderful drummer whose big rival Johhny Marshall. They played together in The Battle of the Drums in the City Hall. I was a little girl.

7. Madelein

Hi my dad was also a drummer in the 70’s in Durban his name is Fanie Strydom anyone remember him?

8. Keith Parker

Hi Deirdre,
    I actually took drumming lessons with Johnny Marshall. Johnny used to play with a band on the Castle Line mail ships between SA and UK.

9. Keith Parker

Hi Madelein.
    I cannot recall your Dads name. Do you perhaps know the band he was with and where he played

10. Peter Smook

Hi There,
    I’m Peter Smook, was the Manager, then Regional Manager of Ocean City and Ster Films Natal way back in the good old days. My brother John was the bass guitarist for Lee Men Ltd
    The lead singer Richard Wright now lives in Louisiana, John lives in Tennessee, Nic (Doc) the drummer lives in Vancouver,
    Jimmy Thompson, the keyboard player, is a publisher in Los Angeles and sadly, Kenny Henson is no longer with us for many years now. We still all communicate frequently and reminisce about the days at Tiles, the Arena Club as well as at the Hawthorn Hotel and many sessions in and around Durban. I too remember Johnny Marshall and many others from visits to Bothners and Poliacs

11. Richard Wright

Hi Keith,
    I used to sing with LeeMen Ltd and remember The Arena well. Dougie Dolan was a good buddy of mine and when we played at the Arena; his very young son Neville used to watch us in awe. He was probably one of our youngest ‘roadies’.
    Many years later and here in Louisiana, USA (the home of the Blues), I came across Neville Dolan again through the sugar industry. Both he and I were, and still are in the sugar industry and we didn’t even know it. Those were good old days. Most of the old Lee Men are over here and in Canada. Ken Henson passed away some years back.

12. Keith Parker

Hi Richard,
    I remember most people called you Dick.
    I was the drummer for Limits 4 and Village Green.Donald Scott singer, Ivan Spiers, Peter Knudsen and Derek Klenwryck,
    Never could spell Dereks surname.
    We started at Arena Club as Limits 4 after LeeMen Ltd moved on.Great to here that you are well, just getting older as I am. 70 last May.
    Kind regards,