Charlesworth pictures

posted in: Appeals | 25

My correspondent Chris Charlesworth (who recently sent info about his Durban postcard page) has asked me to publish a request about the paintings of his uncle, the artist Geoffrey Charlesworth. Chris wrote:

I’m collecting photos of paintings by my cousin Geoffrey Terence Charlesworth, , born 17 July 1930. Died April 2009. I’ll create an album of them on my website. ¬†Geoffrey was a reclusive man and died alone in his Point Road Flat. He lay for many days and, when discovered, the Coroner was unable to trace relatives.

You see, his twin Barbara had died some months before. Eventually they traced his younger sister, Merle, in Johannesburg. He was survived by Merle & elder brother John. John subsequently passed away in Cape Town, in August 2011.

If anyone out there owns his any of his paintings, please can they take photos of them & email them to me ?

The Charlesworth children in 1942, Geoffrey is on the left in front.

Please contact me here, if anyone can help.

1. Allan Jackson

William Paterson replied to this query via e-mail on 15 October, 2011.:

I was saddened to read of Geoffrey Charlesworth’s death and in such lonely circumstances. He attended the Durban Art School and won the Emma Smith Travelling Scholarship enabling him to study in Britain. (I think he worked his passage over there on a tramp steamer).

He and I visited the extensive mangrove swamps at the head of Durban bay once, before the SAR / SAS concreted it over for a marshaling yard. He did extensive sketches, I recall, which he later worked up into a (rather ‘wriggly’) painting which, at one time, hung in the Durban Art Gallery. When I enquired about it many years later, it appeared to have vanished without trace.

On one of my upstairs study walls in Ireland hangs a small painting I did of a view inland from Puntan’s Hill, not far from the Charlesworth family house, which I visited

Footnote: Some years ago Allan Jackson of FAD kindly managed to trace Geoffrey when he was living at the Tudor Rose Hotel in West Street; however I never did manage to make contact with him.

• Chris Charlesworth

I often met Geoffrey near or outside The Tudor Rose during my teens. Had many chats with him. Even though we are cousins we differed age by 28 years. Durban was my best as a teenager and spend countless trawling those streets, meeting all sorts of cool Durbanites.
      The Roxy, Oxford & Capri were my best !!

• Adrian

Hi Chris I have a Antique shop in Durban and have 2 of Charlesworths works in my shop. They are quite large works and brilliantly executed

• Chris Charlesworth

@William Paterson

Hi William. I remember he had a studio, quite near the Tudor Rose, but on the opposite side. Loved the smell of turpentine in the place. He shared it with another artist. Can you remember who that other person was ?

• William Paterson

Fear I can’t Chris. William

• Bronwen Heath

Allan, I have a painting, dated 1950, which I believe is of The Umgeni River from the (?)Berea, looking westwards.
      Where is Puntan’s Hill? Could it be the same view as your sketch?

• Allan Jackson

The following message came in for Bronwen from William Paterson:

Hi Bronwen
        Easiest way to decribe Puntan’s Hill locality:
        Go up Trematon Drive then, instead of turning left along Ridge Road, continue over the ridge and swing left
        once the other side is reached. The road forked at that point and I seem to remember that the
        Charlesworth’s house was on the upper fork road – not far along. Quite modest.
        Regards, William

2. Allan Jackson

Charlie Paxton replied to this query via e-mail on 16 October, 2011.:

Paintings by Uncle Geoff

I came across this while looking for something else, I have a painting that Uncle Geoff gave me as a wedding present which hangs in our cottage. Will take a photo and email it.

Charlie Paxton (nee Robyn Charlesworth)

3. William Paterson

Following on from my earlier message about Geoff, may I suggest that it is particularly important that Geoff’s mangrove picture is located and kept safely, as a record of what that part of the Durban bay looked like in about 1950?

William

4. William Paterson

Helo Charlie. No I have no idea on who the other artist was. William

5. Doug. Story

Hello Bill-many years have passed since we last met.Geoff ,David Scot Mcnab and I had an exhibition in 1956 or thereabout which was opened by Nils Anderson.I met up with Geoff & David a few years ago and sad to say not long afterwards they both died.
    Geoff was in my humble opinion a very fine talent but as is so often the case an artists’ life is by no means an easy one.I have a beautiful painting of a couple of children on a veranda dominated by a large oak tree painted in Ceres. Two other paintings – one of Capetown parliament gardens and another the subject of which I forget I gave to a friend in Durban, a chap by the name of Gordon Tod. I will make an effort to get pictures of all three to Chris Charlesworth as soon as possible. I also have a little oil sketch I did of Geoff in his family home in a Puntans Hill which I will also send.

6. Mark feuilherade

Hi , I read with interest about the life of Geoffrey Charlesworth. I was married to David Scott Macnab’s daugther many years ago. I met Geoffrey on many occasions as he was a great friend of my late father in-law. Geoffrey gave us a painting which he painted in 1983. It was of Bastille day in Paris. the painting still hangs in my living room, and just today I was looking at it and decided to Google details of Geoffrey’s whereabouts. I was not aware that he had passed away in 2009. He was a great talent..

7. chris charlesworth

To William, Doug and Mark……
    Thank you for taking time to comment on Geoffrey’s life, talent and creative character.
    I am “surfacing” in 2013 after a difficult 2012. I can breathe again.
    Apologies for non-contact. Allan will give you my email address.
    Best wishes
    Chris

8. William Paterson

Any news of Geoffrey Charlesworth’s mangrove painting yet?

9. Chris Charlesworth

Hello William
    I currently live in England (have done since 2002). I did try contacting the Durban Art Gallery as a start, via email, with no reply.
    I seem to remember the painting. Can’t recall if it was in a relatives home or the painting hanging in the Art gallery’s stairwell, during the 60’s & 70’s, as one ascended to the first floor ?

10. David Scott-Macnab

Hello Chris,
    My father was, I believe, your uncle Geoff’s closest friend. They studied together in London, and exhibited together in Durban. Furthermore, Geoff was my godfather. I have a large quantity of memorabilia, photos etc and several paintings in my possession. If you contact me by email I’ll be happy to discuss sharing this with you.
    Regards,
    David

• Allan Jackson

David, I have forwarded your address to Chris.

11. Eric Bolsmann

I am lookingh for a photo of Geoffrey Terence Charlesworth. Can anyone assist?
    Eric Bolsmann

• David Scott-Macnab

Have you found a photo Eric? I have a number of photos of Geoff Charlesworth taken over a number of years from the early 1950s until the last time I saw him in about 1994.
      David

12. MOIRA BADSTUBNER

I was completely mixed up – i thought Geoffrey Lockwood and Geoffrey Charlesworth were the same person…

13. Ian Varkevisser

Geoffrey Charlesworth now there is a name I have not heard mentioned in 50 years. I was born in 1953 and our family home was in Puntan’s Hill, the Charlesworth’s were our direct neighbours until the late 60s. Fans of the arts but sadly not of sports. This though was probably due in part to the fact that as youngsters my 2 brothers and I and our friends used to play cricket and soccer in our backyard and on occasion no doubt a stray cricket ball broke a Charlesworth window. I do recall it used to be quite a mission to reclaim balls that strayed into their property as they were not always willingly returned. It is sad though to hear about him ending up as a recluse but interesting to see that there is a certain amount of interest in his work. Good luck in your hunt to track down his work. I will be interested to see the album sometime.

14. C.F.Charlesworth

Hi Everyone
    I have created a Facebook page to celebrate Geoff’s life.
    Please join the group and add media.
    Blessings from Chris

15. Ken Cosgrove

Hi Chris,
    I clear,t remember you however I doubt if you would remember me.
    I am the middle son of Geoff’s twin sister, Ken.
    I’ve just come upon this page by shear chance. For obvious reasons I do have a number of his paintings.
    Not sure if this site is still alive

16. William Paterson

Adriaan (Antique shop owner who has reported that he has two of Geoff’s paintings). Is one of those paintings of Mangrove swamps? If so it may a sketch for the missing mangrove picture he painted. RSVP. William